This is a great recipe to get your kids to eat and actually like broccoli.
– 1 pound of De Cecco penne rigate or fusilli
– 1 head broccoli or 2 bunches of baby broccoli (broccolini)
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 3 large -garlic cloves, crushed
Salt & pepper to taste
– Handful of raw sunflower seeds.
Bring pot of salted water to a boil – dump the pasta in with a few drops (or more) of any cooking oil.
At the same time, boil broccoli in lightly salted water until soft.
In large bowl, add olive oil, crushed garlic, salt & pepper.
Remove broccoli from heat. Drain most of the water, keep about ½ cup. Pour broccoli and remaining water into the olive oil mixture and smash it up some.
Drain pasta, but not too much. You should have water dripping from the colander. Toss it into the broccoli and olive oil mixture before the water drains completely. Throw the sunflower seeds in. Stir it all up to coat the pasta well.