I always make Ambrosia salad with our Thanksgiving feast. It’s the perfect fresh, clean and cold side to compliment the heavy food and it adds wonderful color to your table.
– 4 large crisp apples
– 4 large firm but ripe Bartlet pears
– 4 large just-ripe bananas (not too many brown spots)
– 2 cups fresh blueberries
– 1 large can Mandarin Oranges (drained of all juice)
– 1 large can of pineapple chunks (drained of all juice)
– 1 small container of Cool Whip or 3 cups whipped heavy cream. (more or less to taste)
– Peel and cut apples and pears into bite-size pieces
– Add blueberries
– Drain Mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks and add to the fresh fruit.
– Refrigerate until serving time, then add cut bananas (bite-size) and mix in cool whip to coat evenly. You can substitute the Cool Whip with whipped heavy cream. I find it easiest to use Cool Whip and let the nasty chemicals fall where they may.
Serves 10 to 12
*Recipe can be reduced by half to serve less people. Replace large cans with small cans of Mandarin oranges and pineapple and reduce Cool Whip by half.